Ships Agent - HOU
To execute required agency services as per Wilhelmsen Ships Service SOO (Standards of Operations) for agency and quality standards as outlined within the Global Integrated Management System (GIMS). To assist in the efficient handling of vessels clearing through designated ports, ensuring a high quality service, the quickest possible turnaround time, including minimizing expenses for the vessel, owners and/or charterers. The role is to protect and safeguard the interest of the principal.
Ships Agent reports to Manager Ships Agency, but will receive daily instructions directly from the Vessel Manager
Authorized to execute tasks to meet with client(s) formal instructions
Act within this Functional Description and within the chart of authority as outlined in the Company’s Global Integrated Management System (GIMS)
- Communicates all issues of importance immediately to the Vessel Manager;
- Conducts preplanning of the port call in conjunction with Vessel Manager to resolve any uncertainties prior to arrival or departure of vessels;
- Responsible to ensure the following are prepared and accurately submitted as instructed by the Vessel Manager responsible for vessel port call:
- Prepare boarding file;
- Update file check list daily;
- Update and file all required gate lists;
- If instructed by the Vessel Manager, File 3171 and berth applications;
- Attend vessels on arrival and meet with Master to review all planned port activities;
- Attend vessel daily as needed or instructed;
- Send out arrival & SOF messages twice daily or as instructed;
- Collect all cargo documents;
- Send out departure message, including updating VOSS with all port times;
- File departure crew list;
- File complete manifest; and
- Managing file storage of voyage files.
- Ensures professional and timely boarding of the vessel;
- Board vessel with Authorities on arrival and departure as required;
- Complies with government regulations and related documentation filing;
- Maintains good relations with stevedores, terminal representatives and local authorities;
- Look for continuous improvement opportunities and forwards the same to Manager Ships Agency;
- Attends operations team meetings as required;
- Responsible for delivery of small packages and mail to the vessel as instructed by the customer; and
- Is available 24X7 on call as required.
This position will be measured against:
- Established ships agency Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) listed in the SOO;
- Accuracy & meeting of deadlines for filings, gate list, etc. as per terminal and Government regulations;
- Consistent safety compliance, with WSS Corporate and Terminal;
- Results of Customer Service Reports; and
- Efficiency and punctuality.
- High School diploma or equivalent or a combination of education and experience;
- Ability to board ships;
- Valid Driver’s license;
- Must possess or be eligible to obtain a valid TWIC card;
- 24X7 availability (works nights and weekends when necessary);
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Good organizational skills with good attention to detail and follow up;
- Good communication skills and command of the English language, both oral and written;
- Ability to work individually as well as in a team;
- Strong interpersonal understanding with an awareness of different cultures within the customer base, team and organization; and
- Reliable, enthusiastic and professional manner.
- Prior experience in the Marine industry.
- Deliver Ships Agency Services;
- VOSS; and
- Moderate computer skills.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to:
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel;
- Talk and hear;
- Reach with hands and arms;
- Climb or balance; and
- Lift up to 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to:
- Reach with hands and arms; and
- Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include:
- Close vision;
- Distance vision;
- Peripheral vision; and
- Ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly:
- Exposed to outside weather conditions; and
- Noise from terminal operations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently:
- Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, and
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work location will be HOUSTON, TX.
For more details, please contact:
Contact Name: Tanya Mota-Rojas
Contact Phone Number: 281-867-2000
Application deadline is 4/29/2017